Calvary Baptist Church began at a Tent Revival with overflowing attendance during March 1950. Martinsburg Baptist Church was the sponsoring church with Calvary Baptist Church to be admitted to the Southern Baptist Church Association with thirty members.
In the beginning, Calvary met at the old American Legion building, now the Crossroads Center. As attendance grew, it became clear to the membership and trustees that they needed to purchase a lot and build a church to meet the needs of a growing membership. The lot located at 180 South Franklin Street in Pittsfield was purchased and the first building under the name of Calvary Baptist Church was built in 1951.
Since those humble beginnings, and with God's blessings,Calvary has expanded under the guidance of several ministers to make space to accommodate the ever growing needs of the church.
In 1960, with the Reverend Gus Falter leading the Education Building was built. Property facing Fayette Street adjoining Calvary Baptist Church was purchased in 1977, under the wisdom of Pastor Frank Claybourne.
Construction of a new enlarged Worship Center started April 13, 1988, with the help of eighty members of Carpenters for Christ and the leading of Reverend Dan Yaeger. Pastor Ben Early saw the need to expand the parking area and in the spring of 2006, the new parking lot to the east of the church was completed.
It was not only the pastors who saw to the growth of Calvary. Gloria Early, wife of Pastor Ben Early, saw the need for an intercessory Prayer Chapel. On March 13, 2005, the Frank and Ruth Claybourne Prayer Chapel was dedicated.
On June 1 , 2007, Pastor Bill Herald and wife Phyllis were called into service as Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church. They can be credited with many of the new programs now available to membership and to the public.